Wednesday 14 September 2011

First Night On The Turps

We went to Brisbane for a good friends 30th birthday a couple of weekends ago.  I was totally unsure what to do or expect from a night on the turps since I hadn't really tried drinking yet.  But I did have a theory...
Since I only have a quarter of a stomach I figured that alcohol would travel through the area very quickly.  That would mean WAY more trips to the loo and not as much absorption of alcohol.  With a standard drink costing about $7 these days I needed to work out how to make the most of what I was consuming so I could get tipsy but not need to re-mortgage the house to do so.  

I thought maybe if I drank shots all night, the alcohol (which is thicker than water) would stay in my stomach longer and therefore absorb the alcohol.  So I started with shots.  A few different ones.  The lovely lady behind the bar, who I referred to throughout the night as princess, had fun mixing up different things each time (my favourite was a jam donut - Chamboard and bailey's in a sugar rimmed shot glass!). The problem with this was that once you've had your shot, you're done.  Drinking is a very social event and so I was left with nothing in my hand to hold.  It just didn't "feel" right and after having 5 of them, I still felt completely sober.  
I tried a pot of apple cider but it just has too many bubbles and so the minor discomfort when swallowing a mouthful, paired with my uncontrollable burping (usually at the most important parts of a story) ruled it out as well.  
So I went back to my good old friend: Vodka, lime and soda.  With one slight difference - half soda.   Because there was only a dash of soda in the glass it went down easily and there was none of the burping issues!  I continued on with my plan and ladies and gentlemen...it was a winner!!  Finally after 4 hours I actually started to get a little bit tipsy.  I didn't take it too much further because I didn't want to get to the drunk stage, again because I don't know what to expect yet.  I didn't feel overly full or bloated and I was able to have something in my hand to hold.  I also tried vodka, lime and water - another winner!

We had a great night and caught up with some great friends we haven't seen in a long time.  Thanks again for a great night out Duffy!

No comments:

Post a Comment