Saturday 20 August 2011

A Breakthrough!

The other night, I had a chat with a good friend who had the same procedure done almost a year ago.  While I was obviously thrilled with how I was going, there was always a nagging "is this normal?" voice regularly in my head!  It is so nice to talk to someone and be able to ask the questions that concern you the most and find out that it's normal.  The most concerning one is about the uncomfortable-ness (I am refraining from using the word 'pain') that occurs frequently.  As I've mentioned in the past it totally ruins my appetite and I usually stop eating when it happens.  She assures me that it becomes less frequent, but those old habits die hard and it's when you are engrossed in something delicious that you can forget to monitor the amount in your mouth, or how well you chew something! 

I have just spent the early part of this weekend over on North Keppel Island - what an amazing piece of paradise that is!  Crystal clear water and breathtaking views.  It's just what I needed to de-stress!  The amazing caterers over there are well known for their sensational food... and they didn't disappoint!!  I thought about letting them know that I have special dietary needs but I figured that I could always pick things apart and eat the bits I could.  After all, it is important that I begin to adjust to everyday life.  

The entire weekend was an absolute success for me, food wise.  No pain.  At all.  It was like a switch had been flipped all of a sudden!!  I ate fruit, salads, sausages, patties, cold cuts, cheese, cake, scones and the list goes on and on (I'm still full!!).  As long as I took things very slowly, chewed verrry well and kept things to a minimum, I was as good as gold!  I was SO excited!  I also think that the amount I could eat has increased slightly too.  It's hard to serve your self up teeny tiny little bits but I am getting used to knowing what I will and won't be able to eat.  I have also been carrying around my water bottle and making sure that I have been drinking as much as I can during the day.

This week I'm off on school camp.  Not my most favourite time of year but with good company, the time soon flies by!  I am aware of the menu (since I set it!!!) and I am confident that I will be able to eat everything on offer.  I'll be taking some back up food, just in case!!

Lastly (because I am so tired by eyes are falling out of my head), I've recently been feeling that "empty" feeling more, and more often.  I think that might be the hungry feeling that has been missing since the op.  I can have a drink of water and it no longer annoys me, but if I ignore it I find myself feeling a little bit unwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment