Thursday, 4 August 2011

Post Surgery Check Up & Week 3

It went like this verbatim (after a 45 minute drive into the 'Hamptons)...

"Yes, hi!"
"Come on in."
"How are you feeling?"
"Fabulous, not problems at all!"
"How are your incisions?"
"Fine, I think... Should they be a bit lumpy under the skin?"
"Yes, that's a normal part of the healing process, they'll go in about 3 months.  How is your eating going?  Minced and mashed?"
"Yep, all good.  Some things are a bit painful but I just avoid them or take much smaller mouthfuls and chew it better."
"Great!  You should be able to move onto trying "normal" foods in about 2 weeks, until then, take it easy."
"Ok.  I have tried a couple of "normal" foods and they were a bit tricky but it wasn't really painful or anything.  I just needed to chew really, really well."
"Ok, probably avoid doing that for another couple of weeks, you need to heal."
"Oh... roger that, will do."
"Great.  See you in 8 weeks and then 6 monthly after that for about 18 months." 

And that was it.  2.5minutes  It was my post op appointment so it was free.. yay.  Never mind the $55 in fuel it just cost me, OR the accident that happened while I was fueling up that nearly killed me (a total drongo came around the roundabout at about 70km an hour and headed straight for the servo before locking his steering and breaking hard at the last minute, causing him to fly off up the street and take out the trailer attached to someones car driving on the other side of the road. Dickhead.).  Or the kangaroo I almost hit on the way home...  But I did catch up with some lovely friends for a mouthful of rice and a couple of pieces of chicken and beef (beef remains the enemy).

In other news, I finally got up the courage to try sushi.  Avocado hosomaki (little avo rolls with Japanese mayo - yummmmm), drowned in soy sauce so it was nice and wet.  Chewed like a mo fo and got through 4 little pieces after much discomfort.  I waved the white flag on that one.  No dice.  I'll try again in a couple of months.  Boo.

I strapped on my sneakers to play a game of netball tonight.  First time in 2.5 years.  I was SO excited and I was playing with people I'd never met so I was keen to impress.  I had a stack within the first 2 minutes.  Oh good.  The new fat lady is already down.  I bounced up and kept playing. Busting out my best "I'm right, I'm right, let's go!" and not wanting to look at my knees or massage my aching buttocks that I landed on.  The game was going really well up until I stacked it AGAIN.  Awkward.  I blame the fact that I haven't worn sneakers for about 2 years and forgot how to walk in them.  Let's go with that theory.  On getting out of the shower I have discovered that this old grey mare just ain't what she used to be.  Injuries are as follows:  Busted black and blue finger, feet are killing me, buttocks are screaming, may have torn a tricep muscle, Achilles is already tender and shoulders have collapsed.  I can't wait for next Thursday night!

Not much weight lost this week and a bit.  Around 2kg.  Food has been fairly good (chocolate is easily eaten - yay) but I really do need to get out there and do more exercise.  I'm tearing up "Just Dance" on the Wii for an hour on Friday with the kids,which always works up a sweat, but it needs to be more often.  Lucky I've got it at home!!  Maggie is fanging for a big walk and fun on the beach...I might just do that this weekend.  If I can walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment