Friday 5 August 2011

Food For Thought...

I had a thought tonight... In the past I have weighed myself and always been jubilant if I'd lost even 100g (and would always call it half a kilo - well it almost is!). But when putting on as little as 100g I've thought, "Oh well..."  and after putting my shoulders back and turning my frown into a smile, I force myself to push it to the back of my mind.  
You see, losing weight is all about numbers, no matter who you are.  The difference between fatties and skinnies is that skinnies see an increase and immediately think "right, no more snacking after dinner and nothing consumed after 6:30pm, no matter what, and I'm going to run 2km this week and 5km next week."  And they stick to that.  The 100g plus an extra 500g is gone.  Problem solved.
I see an increase and think "Shit. I've put on more weight.  Shit.  I've really got to do something about... I think there might be cake in the fridge and just a small piece is fine, I'll walk the dog to work it off."  Hmmmmm.  Do you see the problem?  A week later the same process occurs.  Then I get serious.  Really serious.  I weigh myself.  I take a small can of baked beans, a fat free yogurt and a can of diet coke to work and have a salad for dinner.  Although a little hungry, I make it through.  The next morning, weigh in.  Surely I've lost 100g.  Shit. Nothing.  Next day, same routine plus a walk.  Next day, same routine plus a walk and a piece of chocolate because I've been really good!!  Now, the restraint taken to avoid getting on the scales for the last 2 days is horrendous and I am expecting that I will be able to see a major difference in my clothes annnnddddd dropped, what, 5 or 6 kg in 3 days?  When I see no difference or just a couple of hundred grams, I convince myself that it's just not worth it.  Depriving myself for the amount of time needed to drop the weight is unachievable.  So I return to normal.
 
Now when I weight myself, I know that these are numbers that I will NEVER see again.  And I smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment